Solid panel interior shutters : Semi sheer draperies.
Solid Panel Interior Shutters
- A hinged cover or screen for a window or door, usually fitted with louvres
- Designed specifically for indoor use.
- A non-louvred panel, often with detailing
Antique Carved Panel Hindu God Ganesha Hand Carved Wood Wall Panel Door Shutters 72"
Bringing you a beautiful piece of art that shows India's rich cultural heritage. Beautifully detailed and hand carved in teak. This God of knowledge and the remover of obstacles is also the older son of Lord Shiva. Lord Ganesha is also called Vinayak (knowledgeable) or Vighneshwer (god to remove obstacles). He is worshipped, or at least remembered, in the beginning of any auspicious performance for blessings and auspiciousness. He has four hands, elephant's head and a big belly. His vehicle is a tiny mouse. In his hands he carries a rope (to carry devotees to the truth), an axe (to cut devotees' attachments), and a sweet dessert ball -laddoo- (to reward devotees for spiritual activity). His fourth hand's palm is always extended to bless people. A unique combination of his elephant-like head and a quick moving tiny mouse vehicle represents tremendous wisdom, intelligence, and presence of mind.
John King Vanderbilt House
Sunnyside, Staten Island
Constructed at a time when Staten Island was rapidly evolving from an isolated rural area to a community populated by new institutions and their structures, suburban developments, and growing villages, the John King Vanderbilt House is a telling survivor of this transitional period. A Manhattan grocer who became active in real estate transactions, Vanderbilt joined the growing influx of newcomers to Staten Island in 1825 where his Vanderbilt ancestors had settled in the 18th century. He brought with him the extended family which had been established in 1819 by the marriage of his stepdaughter Maria Flock to Abraham Vredenburg (Dorothy Valentine Smith's great-grandparents). The Vanderbilt and Vredenburg families lived in close proximity on the Corson farm which was acquired by Vanderbilt in 1832.
Constructed c. 1836, the Vanderbilt House illustrates hew the Greek Revival style, which had been adopted for contemporary institutional and residential structures on the island, modified and incorporated existing building traditions. Less ostentatious than the local versions of temple-fronted houses, the Vanderbilt House is more imposing than the one-and-a-half story rural houses which demonstrated modernity by their simple neoclassical doorways. The distinguishing features of the more urbane Vanderbilt House include its imposing two-and-a-half story height, Greek Revival inspired entranceway, facade-wide porch and twin end-wall chimneys.
It is a simple but stately house built for a prosperous man who, though listed as a farmer in census records, was actively involved in the purchase and sale of island property.
Between 1871, the date of John King Vanderbilt's death, and 1908, the house was earned and/or occupied by members of the Vanderbilt and Vredenburg families. It returned to family ownership in 1955 when it was purchased and restored by Dorothy Valentine Smith. One of the few surviving structures on Staten Island associated with early Vanderbilt history, it provides tangible evidence of Miss Smith's lifelong interest in the island's history and the buildings which embody it.
John King Vanderbilt and his Residence
A member of the large family descended from Jacob Vanderbilt who settled on Staten Island c. 1718, John King Vandeibilt's branch has a far more obscure history than that of the branch which produced his first cousin, Cornelius "Commodore" Vanderbilt and the Commodore's no less famous descendants. Information derived from census records, business directories, deeds, and wills, reveals that John King Vanderbilt's father, Oliver Vanderbilt, had at some point moved from Staten Island to Manhattan where he established a boot and shoe manufactory; he was apparently also involved in construction and banking. His son John King Vanderbilt was bom in 1781.
By 1816 John King Vanderbilt is listed in city directories as a grocer; his shop and home were located on William Street. An 1825 directory indicates his grocery had been moved to the comer of Vesey and Church Streets. John King Vanderbilt was also involved in the acquisition and sale of real estate located on the outskirts of the growing city. Married in 1811 to Any Osbom Flock, a widow with two young children, Maria and John, and considerably older than he, John King Vanderbilt became the father of two daughters, Sarah (b. 1812) and Mary (b. 1815).
In 1819 his stepdaughter Maria Flock married Abraham Valentine Vredenburg; they were to parent ten children. What might be described as John King Vanderbilt's extended family came into being with this marriage? thereafter Abraham Vredenburg and his family lived either with or in close proximity to John King Vanderbilt.
The reasons underlying the decision made by John King Vanderbilt in 1825 to purchase a large Staten Island farm in the area now called South Beach and move there with his extended family are not known.
Although the 1830s census and all subsequent census records list John King Vanderbilt's occupation as "farmer*' or "agriculture," it is clear that he was consistently involved in the acquisition and disposition of real estate. In 1831 he acquired another large property, part of the Cruser homestead lands, on today's Richmond Terrace between the present Bement and Pelton Avenues. Here too he seems to have built a residence.
Until 1930 when it was demolished for the opening of Beverly Avenue, the Corson family homestead — a typical example of the one-and-a-half story stone and wood farmhouses built on Staten Island in the 18th century — stood on the eighty acres of land purchased in 1832 by John King Vanderbilt fran relatives of the late Richard C. Corson. 3 vredenburg family moved into the old farmhouse which John King Vanderbilt apparently renovated by adding a porch and increasing the height of the roof.
Vanderbilt's own house, constructed c. 1836 a short distance southeast of the Corson house, is a simple yet stately structure which
Mary and David Burgher House (63 William Street)
The Mary and David Burgher House at 63 William Street is a fine surviving example of a vernacular Greek Revival-style residence, built c.1844 in the Stapleton section of Staten Island. The most distinguished feature of the house is its monumental, two-story classical portico set below an over-hanging flared eave – a combination that is characteristic of Staten Island builders’ interpretation of the Greek Revival style. Other characteristics typical of the style include the eared-entrance enframement; the paneled wood door with a full transom and sidelights; six-over-six, double-hung windows with shutters; and vernacular Doric pillars.
The house was constructed in the mid-19th century, at a time when the residential development of the surrounding area of Stapleton was just getting underway. With its excellent ports, close proximity to Manhattan via ferry, and proximity to good roads, Stapleton developed as one of the earlier suburban neighborhoods on the island. Constructed for fisherman David Burgher, the house serves as a reminder of the importance of maritime commerce for Staten Island’s economy in the 1840s and 1850s, and of the role that the harbor played in the development of New York City. A relatively rare surviving example of a building type that was once prominent on Staten Island, 63 William Street recalls one of the borough’s most important mid-19th century building traditions.
Located to the southeast of Tompkinsville, the adjacent village of Stapleton was named in honor of the New York merchant William J. Staples, who with Minthorne Tompkins, son of Daniel D. Tompkins, purchased a large tract of land from the Vanderbilts on the East Shore at the foot of present-day Broad Street, as well as a number of other transactions for land along the east shore south of Tompkinsville.7 Staples and Tompkins had the land laid out into a village with streets and building lots. By 1836, when the village was named, it boasted several houses and a hotel. The following year the Seaman’s Retreat and Hospital Fund opened its imposing new Greek Revival hospital building to care for sick and disabled merchant sailors on a forty acre site at Bay Street and Vanderbilt Avenue. (The Main Building at Seaman’s Retreat, designed by builder Abraham Maybie, with additions of 1848, 1853, and 1911-12, and the Physician-in-Chief’s Residence of 1842 are designated New York City Landmarks.) Staples and Tompkins established steam ferry service to Manhattan and advertised their new development. Over the next twenty-years, Stapleton and Tompkinsville grew rapidly. Both had excellent ports with regular steam ferry service to Manhattan and were located on main roads making them ideal entrepots for the transhipment of goods.
History of the Site
In 1835, Daniel Van Duzer sold about 5 acres, located to the east of the Ward estate, to Lemuel Brewster8 of Manhattan. Brewster, a hatter, temperance advocate and philanthropist, purchased the property on speculation, subdivided it into lots, and entered into an agreement with local merchant William S. Root to manage and sell the properties.9 According to deed records, Brewster and his wife Eleanor held the property for a short time, selling off a number of the lots in the late 1830s. In 1839, Root bought himself out of the agreement with Brewster, purchasing 11 of the remaining lots from the 65-lot subdivision, including those numbered 41 and 42, the future site of 63 William Street.10 Root, the owner of a store in Tompkinsville, had mortgaged the purchase of the property and soon found that he was “indebted and liable in considerable amounts to various persons and companies.” The property was transferred to Manhattan attorney William M. Prichard, who had purchased “all the goods and debts of William S. Root.” Shortly after, Root and his wife, the former Maria Metcalfe relocated to Brooklyn in 1847, although their son George M. remained on the island, working as a civil engineer, surveyor and authority on land and water boundaries. It is likely that William Street got its name from Root.
On June 20, 1843, David Burgher of the town of Castleton, purchased four lots from Prichard, including the two lots that are now known as 63 William Street. Burgher had the house constructed shortly after, c. 1844, as it appears on Bloods’ 1845 Atlas of Staten Island.
Although both his father and grandfather were farmers, David Burgher, who is listed in the deed as a “mariner,” worked most of his life as a fisherman. His father John Burgher married Mary Kettletas, who was descended from early Staten Island residents, and had an extensive farm on the southeast shore of the island, around today’s Burgher Avenue. Mary’s father, Stephen Kettletas, also a farmer, had property nearby that of Nicholas Burgher, David’s grandfather.
A prominent resident of Stapleton, David Burgher (1815-1879) was appointed Deputy Sheriff in 1833 by Sheriff Lawrence Hillyer, who was also his uncle. A successf
honeycomb shades reviews
window faux blinds
wood shutters houston
outside window shutter
blinds for glass door
grandwood blinds replacement parts
awning window operators